Wednesday, May 15, 2013

First time in 21 years!!

I rode a bicycle today!

Today was a stressful day. Not because of work, but because today I had to deal with some stuff regarding the custody case I am in over my nephew. Well lets just say that dealing with his father and some other members of my family drive me crazy. Needless to day I was frustrated today. Apparently being frustrated makes me exercise harder. Don't like being that way though!

I think I need an alone vacation. You know, one of those vacations where you go out of state and go somewhere no one knows you. Where you can just be you and not have to worry about what anyone has to say about anything.

On to the updates. So yesterday I swam and it was a run day. I burned about 600 calories yesterday, I was determined to get a full 5K in on the treadmill. I hadn't done one since the 5th so I got on the treadmill and turned on an episode of Supernatural, and 50 minutes later, sure enough I was at 3.25 miles! WOO HOO!! And I ran it faster then I have been!! I ran at 4 MPH for the majority of it. So that is 3 - 5K's in the books for me!!
Last week I went to the doctors for a few things. I'm trying to get all tuned up before I lose my insurance. I asked him about some occasional knee pain that I have and he said he wants me to use a bike because its easier on my knees. So tonight after I swam, I came home and ate dinner. I was planning on sitting around and watching tv the rest of the night. I was just going to swim and make it a light day, but I decided I wanted to go try the bike. So I got my daughters mountain bike out and went for a ride! Knee brace and all! I haven't been on a bicycle in 21 years. I was  able to go 4.37 miles today which considering it was the first time in like forever I thought was pretty good. I did 4 miles in 28 minutes. An average of 8 MPH. Not horrible!! I will keep working on it. I need to get a different bike I think. My daughters bike feels like my knees are in my chest.
 
Any suggestions?? Help on this topic is greatly appreciated.
 
Tomorrow I am leaving work early to go see another doctor about my tailbone pain and my other hernia. I am then swimming and getting together with a dear friend of mine. I haven't seen her in what seems like forever. We are both always so busy. But tomorrow we are going to dinner and then going painting! This is what we will be painting tomorrow night!
My shows all end for the season this week. I'm sad. :-( Supernatural and Arrow have the season finale tonight and Beauty and the Beast is tomorrow. I might cry!! So "Carry On My Wayward Son." I am off to watch Arrow and Supernatural. I will cry later!
 
Anywho... I hope everyone has a good evening! And thanks for stopping by!


11 comments:

  1. Great job with the running! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris! I haven't ridden bike forever! That must have been so much fun!

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exercise for me is a HUGE stress reliever! Congrats on your 3x 5K! Awesome! I may just get on a bike this summer. Haven't done that since before I was morbidly obese...22+ years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bikes rule! What type of biking do you want to do? I've got lots of info on mountain bikes...road bikes, I don't know that much about. As far as brands...I love specialized and Gary Fisher (now made by trek). Let me know if you have bike questions - it is the one thing that keeps me sane..actually going now for a ride!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go on the 5k! You should be so proud of yourself!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Chris - My wife was always riding her bike with the seat to low. This was causing her knees to work too hard. I finally convinced her to raise the seat and handle bars high enough that her knees didn't do the majority of the work. At first she was afraid she was too high. I said, no...that is proper seat adjustment when your leg is almost a full extension on the down pedal, while you are seated. Now that she is over the fear of being too high she enjoys bicycling and it's easier on her knees. I'm just thinking maybe that was why your knees felt like they were in your chest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to get a bike too! We can ride together... now I have Bicycle Race by Queen stuck in my head!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's still in my head.... I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike.

      Delete
  8. Go to a real bike shop, not Target or a sporting-goods store, and tell them what kind of riding you want to do. They'll suggest a good bike for you and will help you find the right size. And when you buy one, they'll fit it for you. There are lots of small adjustments besides seat height that can make all the difference.

    You don't really need a mountain bike to ride around on the streets and bike paths--a good hybrid or cross-training bike would do the trick and be more comfortable and stable than a skinny-tired road bike.

    Congrats on trying something new! You are breaking new ground all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for you! I haven't been on a bike in over a decade! I hope to try soon also. The city is always improving the biking/hiking trails around here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! New follower here! I've just taken to riding a bike again in January. I love it! I agree with Connie...go to a real cycle shop. They can make sure it fits right and you get set up with the right kind of bike. :)

    ReplyDelete